June 8, 2007

On the taxi

Many Japanese taxi drivers are not good at speaking English.
This may be top level in the world.

But once they got your destination, you will be satisfied with their driving tequnique.

When you get on a taxi, the most important thing is to make a taxi driver understand where to go.

iku : go
shitai : want
ikitai : want to go
no desuga : literaly means "....,but..". When you ask for something, these words are added at the end of the sentense in many cases.

Tokyo ni ikitai no desuga : Tokyo to, want to go, (I mean),: I want to go to Tokyo.
Hotel ni ikitai no desuga : Hotel to, want to go,: I want to go to the hotel.

or

...made : to..., up to ...
onegaishimasu : please

Tokyo made onegaishimasu.: Tokyo to, please. : Please go to Tokyo.
Shinjuku made onegaishimasu. : Shinjuku to , please : Please go to Shinjuku.

"onegaishimasu" is very useful word which means requesting something.

At a shop;
Kore onegaishimasu. : this, please : I want this.

At a station counter;
Shinjuku made onegaishimasu. : Shinjuku to , please : I want a ticket for shinjuku.

At a movie theater ;
otona : adult
ichi : one
mai : when you count thin thing , "mai" would be added after numbers

Otona ichi mai onegaishimasu. : adult, 1, please : I want 1 adult ticket.

At a restaurant;
mizu : water
hanbaagu : humburg
Mizu o onegaishimasu. : water, please : I want a glass of water.
Hanbaagu o onegaishimasu. : humburg, please : I want a humburg.

No comments: